We just got a bunch of reblogs and a lot of people asking what Story War is and how they can buy it and stuff like that. Okay!
What is Story War?
It’s a card game for 3-to-8 players that combines storytelling and combat! It’s more about creativity and alluding to pop culture (or just regular culture) than it is about math or numbers. It’ll usually take about an hour to play a full game, but each 5-to-10 minute turn feels like a discrete unit of fun, so you can really just play for as few or as many turns as you want.
Players choose a Warrior card (like Medusa or Puss In Boots) from their hand to represent them in battle, then multiple players must work together as a team to defeat the players on the other side of the table. They can also use Treasure cards (like Excalibur or Flying Carpet) to get them out of a tight spot and turn the battle around! Each battle is also set on a Battlefield (like Beanstalk or Sleepy Village) and players can use the terrain to their advantage.
How does it actually work?
It’s structured similarly to Cards Against Humanity or Apples to Apples (ie, a player acting as a judge that changes on each turn) but it plays more like a super simplified version of Dungeons and Dragons. You could also say it’s like Smash Brothers with mythological creatures!
It’s really fun and it forces you to come up with ridiculous creative narratives and then you have to try to get your friends to go along with them. You’ll laugh a lot when you play it! Here’s a longer explanation!
Who is making Story War?
Three friends! Brad O’Farrell (me), Tom McLean (Frezned), and Vondell Swain. Vondell’s doing all of the art, I’m doing the creative direction and the game design, and Tom is also doing game design and business stuff and writing most of the jokes. There are jokes! Tom is a professional video game designer and Vondell is a professional illustrator (well he is now that we’re paying him) and I’m just a really fun guy.
How can I buy it?
You can’t yet! But you’ll be able to buy it soon! We’re going to launch a Kickstarter in early 2013. You should follow our blog if you want to be notified when the Kickstarter launches. In order to sell the game at a reasonable price and recoup the money we’ve already invested into this project, we’re going to need to get a critical mass of preorders via Kickstarter. Also if the Kickstarter is really successful we’ll be able to funnel that into an expansion!
What can I do to help?
Until we launch the Kickstarter all you can really do is get the word out and send people to this blog! I guess you could reblog this post or one of our other more interesting posts. Also if you’re an artist and you wanna get involved, email firstname.lastname@example.org with some links to your work! But just being excited is really helpful, too! We’re also pretty excited!
- seikun likes this
- livingthe-nosatsujunkie-life likes this
- ship-the-way-you-live reblogged this from vincisomething
- vincisomething reblogged this from edwardspoonhands
- facey2604 likes this
- youcanstilldieinthesunlight likes this
- davidreamcatcha likes this
- lady-marmolage reblogged this from astray-thought
- astray-thought reblogged this from geekvixen
- necropansy likes this
- geekvixen reblogged this from cantripgames
- stylinsonsimpala reblogged this from deadpool-in-the-tardis
- deadpool-in-the-tardis reblogged this from frezned
- thequeenoflaminar reblogged this from cantripgames
- mmarianamm reblogged this from iamgiwanomegatang
- thelifebible reblogged this from cantripgames
- iamgiwanomegatang reblogged this from cantripgames
- lightanddarklove likes this
- originsofevolution likes this
- ragingteenageawkwardness likes this
- anotherrollofthedice reblogged this from cantripgames
- anotterdisaster likes this
- thetardishawk reblogged this from phoodledoodles
- cleverclearconcise12 reblogged this from phoodledoodles
- gravityshock likes this
- phoodledoodles reblogged this from weelittletumblog
- weelittletumblog reblogged this from cantripgames
- justtyingkitestrings reblogged this from cantripgames
- justtyingkitestrings likes this
- nerdyforenglish likes this
- leviantha likes this
- peachesnbasil reblogged this from findingschmomo
- b-la-f likes this
- findingschmomo reblogged this from t-spain
- hayley-is-dreaming likes this
- t-spain reblogged this from cantripgames
- stageofslumber likes this
- paradoxsocks likes this
- nonfatalnerdisms reblogged this from cantripgames and added:
- quietserval likes this
- lethalya likes this
- awydd likes this
- runwhenisayrunfightwhenisayfight reblogged this from cantripgames
- burnyourbridgesdown likes this
- runcowboyrun likes this
- princespock likes this
- northernpansy reblogged this from hyoipears
- sempertyrannosaurus likes this
- pleiadic reblogged this from abravelittlefoetus
- doppletronica reblogged this from cantripgames