We just sent the last bit of Story War vol 2 to the printers! It’s done! The whole darn thing is done! To celebrate, I wanted to share some cool original artwork by Ned Hugar that will be included in the instruction booklet!
Finishing volume 2 (which had to be finished before we could mail out custom cards, which have been finished for a while) was the last big high-priority milestone from our Kickstarter that we had to hit! First a cartoon, now this! We’re chippin’ away!
Up next: Finishing the online game, the app, and the alternate game modes! We should have everything totally fulfilled by this summer! :D
7:55 pm • 5 March 2014 • 8 notes
we are playing story war (kiss and make-up mode) and king midas’s parents are three dogs and six rats
I’ve heard that royal family trees can get convoluted but this is ridiculous!
4:10 am • 5 March 2014 • 26 notes
I see what you’re saying! Mathematically, there should be slightly more items. But this only becomes an issue when you’re playing with a 4 or 8 players which means you’re going to play 8 rounds, which means you’re consuming around 30 cards total (starting cards + redraws each turn, minus redraws for the final turn.) Because this only happens in the later half of 4 and 8 player games, it’s not a huge concern.
Additionally, adding more Warriors doesn’t mean we need to add incrementally more Items, because the number of turns stays the same even if there are more Warriors. It just means both Warriors and Items are more varied now. The 6 to 8 turn limit is not imposed by the number of Warrior cards, but by human attention span.
Doubling the Warriors doesn’t actually double the Item consumption. Does that make sense?
3:26 pm • 3 March 2014 • 2 notes
pivaxi asked: Hey maybe I haven't been following closely enough, but is there a rough date for Vol 2?
We’re sending it to the printers in a few days, it should get to backers in maybe 2 months or so.
3:10 pm • 3 March 2014 • 3 notes
orannisthesquirrelking asked: Howdy! I kickstared the game, and finally got a chance to play it this weekend. The one thing that stood out as an issue is that we went through the item cards really quickly, so we had to reuse them. Any chance of seeing an item-only expansion in the future? It would be nice to be able to use new items each round.
You’re only supposed to use one item per team per round! But yeah, once volume 2 comes out there will be 50 items total - as many as there are Warriors, currently! That should help mix it up!
3:09 pm • 3 March 2014 • 1 note
halohampster asked: I backed the kickstarter, and i got my game and I love it! But, I also backed other kickstarters with the promise that i'd get cards based off of the other kickstarters. Am I just not going to receive those cards or ?
You are! We didn’t have enough Deluxe packs to send to both Deluxe backers and cross-promo backers during the original shipment. So the cross-promo cards are going to be sent out alongside Super Story War, which should be shipped out in a few weeks!
3:08 pm • 3 March 2014 • 1 note
Hey, we’re about to send the new Super Story War rule sheet off to the printers! We’re still making a few final tweaks, but we wanted y’all to check it out!
One thing that’s unfortunate about making a mass produced print game, as opposed to a digital game, is there is no going back when it comes to the rules. Though the old rules convey the concept of Story War well enough that most people are able to play the game as it was intended to be played, there are occasional instances where some players don’t “get” it.
Hardcore Story War fans (like for example, Matt, who has blogged about this in the past) will get around this by introducing the rules in a slightly different way. For example, it helps to play down victory points and play up the judge’s infallibility. Now that we get a chance to re-print the rules for Story War, we’ve decided to make a few minor but important tweaks that should improve the overall experience for everyone:
- The biggest change in terms of actual mechanics is that the judge can now declare a new victory condition at any time. This is something that players tend to do anyway, so we decided to canonize it. It also helps to more clearly set up the goal of the game before you jump into battle, as most people tend to read the rules as they execute them.
- The back side of the rules has been broken up by fan art. We realized when people unpackaged the rules they’d unfold the whole thing, look at a two sided rule sheet, and get immediately frustrated. We got around that by cleaning up the FAQ section (and splitting it into a new ‘tips’ section) and pacing them with big chunks of art. You now don’t feel like you have to read the back side until after you’ve started playing.
- The “tips” section now includes less rulesy-sounding advice on how to have more fun. This advice is both for judges and the players. Since the rules are so mechanical, we wanted there to be a little more straight forward explanation of the kind of vibe we’re going for.
- The last page no longer says “VICTORY” and instead it says “THE END” - the step where you count your victory cards has been entirely removed. Now, the game simply ends. Hopefully this will help with obnoxiously competitive players. Victory cards are looked at, and you pick your favorite, and you put them in the middle of the table and tell a final story where everybody wins. This step can, of course, be skipped. But it’s similar to the “haiku” step in Cards Against Humanity and acts as a fun palate cleanser.
- The Credits page now does a better job of emphasizing Story War as a multimedia experience, and even has a pretty visible plug for the cartoon.
Hopefully these new rules will make Story War just slightly more fun each time you play it with new people. We’re going to retrofit these rules onto the next reprinting of volume 1, as well as provide a printable version that you can slip in to your existing game if you like.
3:44 am • 3 March 2014 • 107 notes
The one on the far left is the mothman, btw. Got drunk and felt super inspired to fill out my blank cards.
Much love from tx <3 <3
Haha, these are great!
1:33 am • 27 February 2014 • 16 notes
pixels of the steam dragon from story war! lots of really great designs in story war, it’s been really inspiring seeing the game grow… this might end up in the booklet for volume 2 that’s coming out soon, which is awesome! :O
You rock, Chelsea!
4:11 pm • 26 February 2014 • 182 notes
danpintilini asked: can you explain to me whAt story wars is and going to be?
Story War already exists and you can find out more about it at CantripGames.com !
9:33 pm • 23 February 2014 • 3 notes